“10 Secrets of the Laidback Knitters gives knitters permission to relax and have fun with their knitting; to see that knitting is as much about process as product; and to know that the stitches they knit can express the inner joy they feel.” Vicki Stiefel and Lisa Souza, 10 Secrets of the Laidback Knitters: A Guide to Holistic Knitting, Yarn and Life
Top Ten reasons why I like The Ten Secrets of the Laidback Knitters:
1) I love secrets. Secret passages. Secret messages. And the secrets of laidback knitters.
2) Great photography of animals, yarns, knitters, projects, nature. I especially love the vintage shot of author Vicki Stiefel modeling for a 1950’s pattern book, Fashions in Wool for Little Tots.
3) All the models represent realistic body types and a variety of ages.
4) The interesting knitters you met on their pages—like Wise Woman, Anne Hennessey of the Wool Room at Meadowbrook Farm, Antrim, New Hampshire.
5) The kind and funny ways the authors remind you to check your gauge. “Checking the gauge is a pain. We know. But just pretend it’s fun.”
6) The generous spirit that guides the book's rich content, sidebars with historical tidbits, interesting links, stories, anecdotes, and useful advice.
7) See the Souls of Fibers--An entire chapter on fibers to help you understand and make good yarn choices.
8) The Vintage Quilt Socks pattern designed by Judy Summers, author of Knitted Socks East and West: 30 Designs Inspired by Japanese Stitch Patterns.
9) Do it with Hooks—a helpful, handy chapter on crochet which as the authors state is often a “perfect partner to knitting”
10) Connect the Dots—a chapter on knitting and community. It includes a touching tribute to the authors’ knitting buddy, Cindy.
If I needed an eleventh reason, it might be The Giveaway. The Laidback Knitter’s have generously sent a copy (I’m not ready to part with mine) for a blog giveaway.
Contest Info: Click here and send an email with one reason why you would like a copy of 10 Secrets of the Laidback Knitters: A Guide to Holistic Knitting, Yarn and Life.
One entry only, please! All entries must be in by 5 pm. CST Thursday, April 28th 2011. The lucky winner will be announced the following on Friday’s Blog.
Note: I will now be blogging regularly on Fridays. Post should appear by noon CST. I have added a Blog RSS for those of you who would like to follow that way. I am thinking about starting a monthly newsletter with stories, pictures, pattern and recipe links. If you'd like to be on my mailing list, send me an email from the contact page.